Thursday, September 24, 2009

Yeah, so, just to clarify:

The last blog entry was about how I'm ticked off that more doesn't happen, not necessarily because I want to light the torches and march in the streets, being part of the action, but because I wouldn't get to roll my eyes and complain about it as much as I might have wanted.

And another thing, which I don't think I made transparent:

I can't really sympathize with a lot of the protesters who are destructive or violent. I mean--it's definitely not working to any end, and most of the time it isn't planned at all. Yeah, let's crash the windows of a Boston Market, not because it's nasty, or a big business, or not vegan or whatever. But because it's right hear, next to where we are, with our hammers. Come on, people. If you'd opened your eyes for a second, you might have noted that that particular Boston market was conveniently located near three major hospitals AND a cancer center. Yeah, wonder who's eating there on a budget...

It just sucks for people to consistently be working towards these lofty ideals, and in the meantime, who are the casualties, and what is the real coste? It is never, ever justified to use violence, even if it is to counter violence, to be brutal, even if it is to counter brutality. Call me Christ, but there is always another way.

And, stop being so stupid. As my friend said to me today, "Who is a fan of the global economy?"

I'm just tired, folks. Tired of people not knowing what they mean, not meaning what they say, and not doing what they say they're gonna do.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I can't wait to watch the Daily Show tonight and see John Oliver interviewing the guy who wore the Batman costume and the sandwich board saying "Christian Bale Sucks!"

L said...

Was it any good? I might look it up on youtube or something like that...
P.S. thanks for being the ONLY commenter, as always :)

L said...

Found this in OED...interesting "attempted dissociation from one's self" cool, right?

Protest, n.
d. In Adlerian psychology: a personal, often unconscious, dissent or attempted dissociation from one's self or circumstances due to feelings of inferiority. Chiefly in masculine protest n. at MASCULINE adj. and n. Special uses 2. Cf. protest mechanism n. at Compounds 1c.
1917 B. GLUECK & J. E. LIND tr. A. Adler Neurotic Constit. 100 The dynamics of the neurosis can therefore be regarded (and is often so understood by the neurotic because of its irradiation upon his psyche) as if the patient wished to change from a woman to a man. This effect yields in its most highly colored form the picture of that which I have called the ‘masculine protest’ [Ger. männlichen Protest]. 1928 P. MAIRET ABC of Adler's Psychol. iv. 74 The movements of feminism..too often betray a note of protest. 1939 H. ORGLER Alfred Adler v. 128 The second little theft was carried out as a protest against his being released on parole. 2001 A. P. MOTZ Psychol. Female Violence (2002) II. v. 176 Susan Bordo describes the gesture of protest which such violence [sc. self-harm] constitutes.